CERTS offers comprehensive testing, certification and maintenance of biological safety cabinets. Our trained and skilled technicians are authorized to perform warranty repairs for all major equipment manufacturers. All testing is performed in accordance with established CERTS standard operating procedures updated periodically to remain compliant with federal and international safety guidelines, current good manufacturing practices (cGMP’s) and quality assurance systems.
Biological safety cabinets (BSCs) are certified to meet NSF-49, OSHA, NIH/CDC and the manufacturer’s specifications.
Primary tests include:
- Inflow velocity measurements – assure that a safe inflow is maintained to protect the operator from the product, as well as the product from outside contamination.
- Downflow velocity measurements – ensures that the air in the work area is unidirectional and functioning as designed, preventing cross contamination.
- HEPA filter integrity testing – tests filters and the system for leakage or defects.
- Fluorescent and UV Light Testing – assures fluorescent lighting levels are sufficient to prevent operator fatigue, UV lighting operates effectively.
- Airflow visualization testing – qualitatively verifies airflow direction and containment using a source of visible smoke.
- Site installation testing and alarm calibration – assesses appropriate procedures for the installation of units for NSF and OSHA compliance, along with verifying performance of safety alarms.
Optional Testing Services include:
- Biological decontamination
- Non-viable particle counting
- Electrical safety testing – assures that the unit is electrically grounded and safe for worker use
- Vibration testing – assures that product is not subject to damage due to vibration
- Sound testing – verifies that using the hood will not contribute to worker fatigue